camp header

 

Col. Edward D. Baker Camp No. 6

 

imagePreserving the memory of the Grand Army of the Republic
and our ancestors who fought to preserve the Union
1861 - 1865

The Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War is a patriotic and educational organization, similar to the Grand Army of the Republic. It was founded on November 12, 1881 and incorporated by Act of Congress August 20, 1954. The Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War is the legal heir to and representative of the Grand Army of the Republic.

Col. Edward D. Baker Camp No. 6 was formed November 20, 2004 and is one of the founding camps of the new Department of the Columbia, formed in 2015. Our camp is named in honor of Edward Dickinson Baker, a Senator from the State of Oregon and the first colonel of the Seventy-first Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, who died leading that regiment at the Battle of Balls Bluff, Virginia, October 21, 1861.

Baker Camp No. 6 is the only camp within the Department of the Columbia which has an active unit of the Sons of Veterans Reserve (SVR) attached to it for ceremonies and other formal occasions. The SVR is the uniformed ceremonial branch of the SUVCW and units adopt 1860's military uniforms, tactics, and traditions for the annual observances of Memorial Day and Remembrance Day, grave dedications, memorial services, etc. Baker Camp's SVR unit is Co. B, 71st Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, in honor of Colonel Baker's regiment, and is part of the 6th Military District, SVR.

Lincoln AwardRecipient of the
Abraham Lincoln
Commander-in-Chief’s Award
for
Most Outstanding Camp in the Nation
2008-2009